Friday, July 07, 2006

Check engine light? Get it checked / reset for free!

My check engine light recently came on (ok, a month ago). I put it off and put if off. Then someone told me that AutoZone would check it for free and tell you what your error code stands for. I went by my local AutoZone and was in and out in 5 minutes. Mine was a small emissions leak (which is usually a loose gas cap). They reset the light and if it comes on again, then I will try a new gas cap before going to an auto shop. How much do places charge to check your codes?? Usually between 45-75 bucks! All they had to do was just hook up a little hand held machine!

Cheap as free! :)

3 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Blogger B&I said...

Is the deal still on? My bf has had his check engine light on for ages .Resetting it only made it go off for 100 miles or so then it came back but I can ask him to get it checked.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger young guns said...

yup, the deal is still on. They always do this. He should go and get it checked again to make sure it isn't anything serious. If my light comes back on, first I am going to get a new gas cap...if that doesn't fix it, then I will go to the shop. Better to take care of it before it becomes a bigger problem!

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have gone to Autozone and was able to get this free service performed as well, but it was not simple. The employees did not want to do it, leave the store, whatever. I (blushing) had to pull the dumb girl card and with a bit of flirting, was able to get this free service as well. I am sure it depends on each location, but this was my experience, for what it's worth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home