Wednesday, October 25, 2006

What Now ?

I received a call from a headhunter two days ago. Here are my issues (well, some)...I had the preliminary screening interview yesterday and now they are going to set me up with an interview with the company.

Now, yes...the job I have now does not pay as much as I would like, but it is great experience. I do web application development and we get to keep up with new technologies, etc. For my first year here I was the only developer. Now, I have a Jr. Programmer under me. That has to be good, right? This is also a very stable job. I was planning on brining up the compensation, etc. with my boss on my year review. The review is in a few weeks.

Now, if this other company would want me...starting out I wouldn't be as high up of a programmer as I am now, but they said they have plenty of opportunity to move up. I just need a little more experience with that particular language first. This is a bit less stable of an environment, but the company has been around for 17 years. The instability is more in the tech market...I think things will be fine for at least a few years.

Ok, the money question. I have been asking myself. How much would I need to leave this job? I am thinking around $10,000 more a year. Then I think...well, I should stick it out here for another year and then I will have that much more experience and will have completed a few big projects...which could help me get more later.

Wow, it really helps to type all of this out. I am still a bit up in the air...but it seems that maybe sticking with my lower paying job may be better for now. I can hope for a bigger raise next year?...I guess...

3 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger Tired of being broke said...

It would seem that that staying put for another year or so would be the best thing to do. A raise of $10,000 would not be worth giving up the security and seniority that you now have.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Adventures In Money Making said...

any time you can get a raise, you should go for it.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger L. Marie Joseph said...

You should not jump to the first opportunity you get. Gain experience where you are at now. There will always be opportunities in the future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home